Monday, January 10, 2011

6 inches of snow... and no sled

Well while I have power, I thought I would write since I can't get out to get to work.  I was told to turn around by the very nice Atlanta Police unless it was an extreme emergency.  It took me almost 20 minutes just to get out of my apartment complex!

It started coming down around 9:30 last night, but by 10, we had 3 inches!  In only 30 mins!  I knew we were in for a long night if it came down that quickly.  But before Atlanta started to get anything, I started a fire.  I figured it would be nice and cozy and almost like in a movie if it started to snow.  I was going to make me some low fat, low calorie hot chocolate but couldn't get the fire going really good.  So my roommate asked if we had any paper or something to burn and I said I have some magazines or some old papers we could burn.  As I was getting up to go look for the paper, I noticed something that would definitely help get the fire started.... our christmas tree.  I know what you are thinking, why do you still have it up?  My other roommate's birthday is today and we were leaving it up for her birthday.  Anyway, I broke off a branch and realized that the tree is VERY dry and it should have been gone a long time ago!   I put the branch on the fire and WOW... I never realized how dangerous a christmas tree could be!  It sounded like fireworks going off and the heat from the fire place was VERY HOT!!  All I can say is, it got the fire going!  So if we run out of wood and if we lose power, our christmas tree will save us in more ways then one.

I looked out the window this morning and saw peace and tranquility... then I heard the sirens.  Why can't people just listen to what the news says and just don't chance it.  Yes, I was one of those, but I was expected to go to work.  I tried but couldn't get through, but I did go as slow as I could.  But at least I made it back home and didn't harm anyone.  I am hoping we get to keep our power.  So far so good.

If we keep power, I will blog later.  If not, you all stay safe and warm and I will blog when I can!

1 comment:

  1. You still got power up there? We do, so far anyways. Last I checked (a couple of hours ago) the weather man changed our time frames. It was supposed to stop snowing up here around 7pm tonight and they extended it out into tomorrow night! Of course, no school tomorrow either. We have anywhere from 8-14" of snow depending on where you step. For some reason some of the snow is thinner than in other spots. Im guessing the wind has something to do with it! They said we could anticipate anywhere from 3-10" more by tomorrow night, depending on how the last leg of the storm hit us. Im just grateful that the power hasnt gone out yet.

    ReplyDelete